We must be careful not to confuse data with the abstractions we use to analyze them.
Remember the final exam will be Friday, June 4, 3-6pm in Kemeny 008.
Math 10: Introductory Statistics
- Instructor: Rebecca Weber
- Class meets MWF 1:45-2:50 and Th 1:00-1:50, Kemeny 007 [notice we are using x-hour]
- Office hours: MWThF for a half hour following class, and by appointment. All in my office, 317 Kemeny.
- Textbook: Statistics, 4th Edition, by Freedman, Pisani, and Purves (available at Wheelock Books)
- Teaching assistant: Kassie Archer
- Tutorials: unless otherwise specified, Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 7-9 pm in Kemeny 006.
- Exceptions: on weeks of midterms, Thursday will be canceled and there will be a Sunday meeting. On Thursday April 8, tutorial will be in Carson 060.
schedule with supplemental material homework both from the book and not excel commands
How class will run: Most days will be lecture at the chalkboard and work on the computer. Each Friday we will begin with a short quiz that covers homework assigned up to and including the Wednesday of that week. Homework will be assigned (nearly) daily but graded only via these quizzes. Quizzes will be closed-book, except (if applicable) a printout of the week's computations in Excel (or another statistics package of your choice). To help you prepare for quizzes, tutorials are Tuesday and Thursday evenings 7-9 in Kemeny 006 except as noted below.
- April 19-23: Tutorial Sunday 7-9, regular class Monday, tutorial Tuesday 7-9, Wednesday in-class review and evening midterm (4/21, 5-7 pm, Kemeny 008), no x-hour or Thursday tutorial, regular class Friday but no quiz.
- May 10-14: Tutorial Sunday 7-9, regular class Monday, tutorial Tuesday 7-9, Wednesday in-class review and evening midterm (5/12, 5-7 pm, Kemeny 008), no x-hour or Thursday tutorial, regular class Friday but no quiz.
- May 24-28: No class except Friday (5/28), as I will be out of town. We will finish new material the week before, I will grade your quizzes to be available to you before I leave, and I will be available by email while gone. Tutorial will still run Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Friday class will be review.
- May 31-June 4: Class only on Wednesday (6/2). Final exam Friday (6/4, 3-6 pm, Kemeny 008). Wednesday class will be review.
Grading: The quizzes will cumulatively count for 20% of your grade, each midterm for 20%, and the final exam for 40%.
Honor Principle: On the exams, no help is to be given or received.
Students with disabilities: I encourage students with disabilities, including "invisible" disabilities like chronic diseases and learning disabilities, to discuss with me any appropriate accommodations that might be helpful.
Last modified May 30, 2010