Math 23: Resources
- FALL 2007
The only required one is Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems (8th edition) by Boyce and DiPrima (Wiley, 2004),
available at Wheelock Books in town.
There is a
Student companion site with reviews, quizzes, Matlab and other files,
Some other optional interesting-looking (but untried by myself) books include
John Polking et al.
- Previous versions of this course (scroll down to Math 23).
- MIT's excellent OpenCourseWare
Diff Eq 18.03 course including complete
lectures, videos, worksheets.
- Steve Zelditch's ODE course uses our book,
and has his own lecture notes, practise exams, and HW solutions.
- My 1-page intro to 2-by-2 matrices.
- Rob Hladky's crash courses on
basic ODE terminology and
- Craig Tracy's elegant
course notes on ODEs.
- Russian solution techniques compendium EqWorld (go to ODEs, PDEs, etc).
Quicktime movies of ODE systems and applications.
- John White's Diff Eq course
Other / Fun
- Soda Constructor allows you to
explore normal modes in arbitrary 2D mass-spring systems (turn off gravity
and friction for that). This is a coupled system of second-order linear
ODEs, which could be reduced to a coupled system of first-order ODEs as in
7.6 (example 3) in the book.
It's also a lot of fun to play with and has its
own online community!
- Ocean waves
are described by PDEs too.
- Much of my research actually involves solving a PDE eigenvalue problem
arising from Laplace's equation, known as the