Math 8 Fall 2010: Archived News
Nov 8 2010: Professor Pomerance will not be holding office hours on Wednesday, Nov 10.
Nov 8 2010: The location of the second midterm is:
Nov 5 2010: Regarding the second midterm,
- Filene Auditorium, in Moore Hall, for students in the 11am and noon sections, and
- Wilder 104, for students in the 10am section
Oct 11 2010: Students who have alternate test-taking arrangements (extended time or taking the test at some other time due to a scheduling conflict) should go to 004 Kemeny to take the exam there instead. You can still show up at Cook but we will direct you to 004 Kemeny.
Oct 11 2010: Math 8 Fall 2009's first midterm is available here. The solutions are available here. Some of the topics on that year's midterm will not be on the midterm tomorrow, and that exam is missing some topics which will be on the midterm tomorrow (integral test and comparison tests). You might also be able to find midterms from other Math 8 classes by browsing the list of Math 8 websites maintained by the Dartmouth math department.
Oct 11 2010: The first midterm will be in the Cook Auditorium at Murdough Center.
Oct 10 2010: There will be optional review sessions for the first midterm on Tuesday, early afternoon. Carl Pomerance will hold a session from 12:00pm - 12:50pm in 007 Kemeny, and Andrew Yang will hold a session from 1:00pm - 1:50pm in 105 Dartmouth. All students are welcome to attend either, or even both, of the sessions.
Oct 1 2010: You can sign up for Math 8 study groups. You will need to logon with your Dartmouth ID and then look for Math 8 study groups. There is also a small fee. You can find more information about study groups at the Academic Skills Center website. This service is not provided through the math department, so we cannot provide direct support for signing up in study groups.
Sep 27 2010: Added information about the graduate student TAs, and posted solutions to the first written homework assignment.
Sep 25 2010: Several important changes:
- The exam will cover the end of Chapter 12 (Taylor series), the parts of Chapter 8 we covered (integration techniques), and Chapter 13. Chapter 14 will not be on the exam.
- There will be optional review sessions for the first midterm on Tuesday, early afternoon. Carl Pomerance will hold a session from 12:00pm - 12:50pm in 007 Kemeny, and Andrew Yang will hold a session from 1:00pm - 1:50pm in 105 Dartmouth. All students are welcome to attend either, or even both, of the sessions.
- There will be no Webwork assignment due on Wednesday; there will be one due on Friday.
Sep 20 2010: Added info on Amir Barghi, who will be substituting for Meera Mainkar for about a week. Also revised the grading scheme for the class.
Sep 9 2010: A preliminary version of the course webpage is up. Much of the information is incomplete or still subject to change. This webpage is heavily adopted from last fall's Math 8 webpage.
- Tutorial location changed from Wilder 111 to Wilder 104, starting on Sunday. This change is permanent.
- Carl Pomerance is taking over Meera Mainkar's section for the rest of the term, starting on Monday.
- Section 3 (Andrew Yang's section) will be moving to Dartmouth Hall 105 permanently, starting on Monday.
- On your written homework assignments, please write down the names with whom you collaborated with.
Back to the main Math 8 page.