Math 547 (Linear Algebra with Applications) Summer 2014, UNC-Chapel Hill
Class Timings : Monday to Friday 11:30 AM-1:00 PM, Phillips 383
- Solutions of system of linear equations and Matrix Algebra.
- Linear transformations, Bases and Dimensions.
- Linear Spaces, Orthogonal Projections and Matrix Factorization.
- Determinants, Eigen Values and Eigen Vectors.
- Symmetric Matrices, Quadratic Forms and SVD (Time Permitting).
Textbook : Linear Algebra with Applications (5th Edition) by Otto Bretscher
Instructor : Nishant Malik
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 3:00-4:15, Chapman 430
For students with valid reasons to not be able to use the above office hours, appointments can also be made by writing an email to the instructor.
Email : email@example.com
Syllabus:The topics we will be covering during this course includes --
Prerequisite:Math 233 or 283 or the equivalent.
1. Three CLASS IN EXAMS (1 hour long) of 15 % each. Score of the best two out of the three will be included in the final grades i.e., these class exams will account for 30 % of the total grades.
2. Three QUIZZES (20 min long) of 5% each. These will be surprise quizzes i.e., with no prior schedule.
3. Homework will account for 15% of the total grades.
4. Final exam (3 hour long) would account for the remaining 40 %.
1. First class in Exam : 30 June 2014.
2. Second class in Exam : 7 July 2014.
3. Third Class in Exam : 14 July 2014.
4. Final Exam : 24 July 2014, 11:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Homework will be given twice a week (five to ten problems). A homework will be due in one week after it is assigned unless otherwise specified. Submit homework to the instructor after the class or during the office hours. Homework sheets will be uploaded periodically onto this page.
DOWNLOAD ABOVE MATERIAL AS PDF .
MIT Course Number 18.06 (Linear Algebra) by Professor Gilbert Strang
Khan Academy course on Linear Algebra
Princeton University by Adrian Banner
Terence Tao. UCLA
Tom Denton and Andrew Waldron, UC Davis
David Lerner, Department of Mathematics, University of Kansas
Jim Hefferon, Mathematics Department, Saint Michael's College
Robert A. Beezer, University of Puget Sound
Sergei Treil, Department of Mathematics, Brown University
Math Insight: Applets designed to explain mathematical concepts.
drawLA Toolbox for MATLAB: created to facilitate visualization of some basic concepts of Linear Algebra.
Homework sheets :
Quizzes and Exams with solutions :
* Any exam or quiz posted here has already been graded. Students should collect their graded answer sheets from the instructer during the above stated office hours.