Written homework assignments
The weekly written homework assignments will be posted here.
- Written homework should be turned in to the homework boxes outside of Kemeny 105 by the start of class on the due date.
- Make sure that you show all your work and explain all the steps.
A correct answer with no work shown will receive minimal credit.
This is good practice for what will be expected on exams.
- Make sure your homework is neatly written; if the graders cannot read it, you will receive zero credit.
We also have some technical requirements: Use standard-sized paper that does not have ragged edges from being torn out of a spiral notebook.
Week of September 16–20, 2013
Assignments Made on:
HW #1 Due Monday 9/19
- Section 1.2 #1, 5, 8, 10, 22, 26
HW #2 Due Monday 9/26
- Section 3.1 #3, 7, 23
- Section 3.2 #1(a,d,g), 2, 6, 24
- Show that the number of ways to pick a sequence disjoint subsets (A_1,A_2,…, A_r)
with |A_i|=a_i is n!/(a_1)!(a_2)!…(a_r)! where n=a_1+a_2+…+a_r.
HW #3 Due Monday 10/3
- Section 4.1 #2, 6, 14, 34, 55, 63
- Tsetlin Library Problem: Recall the Tsetlin Library where there are
Three books (books 1, 2, 3) chosen by a random browser with probabilities a_1, a_2, and a_3 respectively.
Show that the probability that the books are in order ijk is a_j/(1-a_i).
HW #4 Due Wednesday 10/19
HW #5 Due Wednesday 10/26
HW #6 Due Monday 11/7
HW #7 Due Monday 11/14